1776 Little Fork Preservation Foundation, Inc.
County of Origin: Culpeper
Ten miles north of Culpeper, Virginia lies a small brick building. The building’s unassuming facade belies its rich historical value. In 1730, St. Mark’s parish erected a wooden church between the Rappahannock and Hazel rivers. Unfortunately, in 1773 a fire destroyed the building, which was rebuilt by 1776.
Members of the church were among the Culpeper Minute Men. Later, the church was used to house Union soldiers, who destroyed much of the interior furniture for firewood. Restoration began later, with James Rawlings in 1963, and finished in 1979.
Little Fork is currently an active place of worship and provides adult and youth Christian education throughout the year. Unfortunately, the cost of maintaining this historic building, a regional and national landmark, in its original condition is beyond the means of its small congregation. Help ensure that the building must never be neglected again.
Address: 16461 Oak Shade Road, PO Box 367
Rixeyville, VA 22737
Phone Number: 845-797-0230